Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 18 Aug 2012 15:47:37 GMT, Han wrote:

Jack wrote in :

I used the saw stop as an example because this is a woodworking group,
and most woodworkers, even the idiots, know what a saw stop is. Some
don't even have a problem with government forcing new saw buyers to
only buy saw stop, so, seems if you are going to let government
mandate wages, mandate what saws to buy, might as well let them
mandate a the price of the saw.

Yes a cow is a mammal, we get our milk from cows. Cats are mammals too,
why not get our milk from them? That's the above reasoning (IMO) ...

Actually the sawstop may be a good example of the multiple things that
are "wrong". Gass had good ideas, but when he tried to sell them,
nobody would buy. He is a good patent lawyer, so he definitely could
cover his invention to lock it up. Then he went 2-prong - he made his
own excellent (expensive) saw and he went lobbying for regulations that
would force people to buy his saw. (Something about petitioning
government for redress of grievances, perhaps - I'm not a constitutional
lawyer).

So what is wrong here? Please add your opinions. Mine a
- The saw makers were stupid.

No, they weren't.

Now they are on the hook.

Not yet.

- Gass is a monopolist. He is a very capable lawyer and wants his
"due", to the max. - Gass deserves compensation for his inventions.

He *only* deserves compensation to the extent that people are willing to give
him is pound of flesh. If *they* decide that his invention is not worth the
money, *they* should be free to pass on it.

- If people are too stupid to follow simple directions about safety, let
Darwin rule. - People should be protected from having to work under
dangerous conditions.

The government can't protect idiots. With your extension of the nanny state,
I guess we'd better outlaw hydrogen hydroxide, too.

If I have to, or want to buy a new saw, the sawstop is something I'd
give thought to. I can probably afford it.

Good for you. I can, too, but chose not to. You'd rather take that choice
away from me. How tyrannical of you.

If a guy/company goes for
the easiest profit he'd ignore worker safety unless forced to obey

The worker can chose to work for the guy with the SawStop, too.