Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:30:45 -0500, Ignoramus15734

On 2012-08-18, Pete C. wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

I've been stick, MIG, and O/A brazing/cutting for decades (actually just
started O/A fusion welding about a year ago), Bruce. I can make and
recognize a good stick weld, even with a Craftsman buzz-box. I just never
realized how _easy_ it was until I got this nice welder.

A good machine certainly makes a difference. The arc control setting on
the Syncrowave certainly helps when stick welding, particularly if you
rarely do stick.

And I never owned a TIG. That will be where the learning curve is for
me. I've already figured out that the puddle looks a lot different with
TIG than it does with OA welding. I've also figured out that with this
small #200 torch, #12 shade helmet lens is too dark, even when working on
aluminum. Probably it would be right for a bigger electrode, but not for
an .040" tungsten at low amperage.

Invest in a good adjustable auto helmet like a Jackson EQC. Also invest
in a couple of the Harbor Freight $50 auto helmets for assistants. They
make life a lot easier, particularly since you can move from one weld
position to the next or even rearrange clamps without bothering to lift
the helmet.

Assistants do not need autodarkening helmets, you can get by with old
darkened glass helmets.

I've hardly used my new (ADH) autodarkening helmet, but I would think
that they would be indispensible to assistants, too. They could see
WTF they were doing helping you position something to weld, etc. Dark
glass is a bitch to work with and my welding improved immediately upon
purchase of the ADH. Some day it'll even be good.

--
The business of America is not business. Neither is it war. The business
of America is justice and securing the blessings of liberty.