Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:16:11 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

On 8/17/2012 7:25 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 17 Aug 2012 12:51:01 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:02:38 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That theory falls apart in places like Iowa, where after raiding a
meat packaging plant (Hormel?), they had *no* problem hiring locals
at the same wage.

That may be true - but that is where each of our own perspectives
can fail us. We see or know about things local to us, or we see or
hear about one-off situations, and then we try to apply them
universally. We're all probably somewhat guilty of that to a
degree. I don't think that the Iowa meat packing plant is all that
representative of the unemployment situation across the country
though.

There are two issues here. Illegals and unemployment. They're
pretty much separate issues, except that in this case a working
illegal is a non-working citizen. It's not unique and shouldn't be
tolerated.

It is easiest for me to come down in agreement on the aspect of being
intollerant of the illegal alien. For me that is an easy decision.
I'm not convinced though, that the non-working citizen would readily
move in to take over those jobs if the illegals were not here.
Perhaps over time, but I just can't see that happening at all quickly.

I agree. I just don't see a 50+ year-old out of work plumber take over
the job of a 25 yo tomatopicker. Although unemployment among the young
there is very high too ...

How many of you have been out of work and starving? Think about that
when you guess about what jobs you'd take to stop it. Although you
might not last long on the farm in the sun, you'd at least try it,
wouldn't you, to keep yourself and your family fed?

i think, unfortunately, you'd find that there is a significant
percentage of people who wouldn't.

Probably true. But I think there is a much larger percentage who
would. I think we'd both be surprised.

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.