Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8815 Ignoramus8815 is offline

Default Followup on Welder from Iggy

somecomments.

thanks for being a great customer

150a is all you need for steel, al may require more.

this is truly a gentleman's welder.

i love buying and selling welders and welding rod.

On 2012-08-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Well... I had a setback in trying to fire up the Syncrowave 300 I bought
from Ig.

My shop is in a 1968 hay barn (no hay now), and some of the wiring is
mine; some is original. My welding station works out of one of the
original distribution boxes around the structure.

I went to hook it up to test. I knew it could draw about 130 amps, so I
checked stuff. The main in the distro was 200A, but when I looked at the
wiring feeding that main, it was #8 (damn!). Well... it had worked for
years at 40 and 50 amps for my little Mig and buzz-box, so I thought I'd
hook up anyway, and try a low amperage setting.

Guys, except for my MIG, I've never done any DC welding, never owned a
TIG, and never had any high-frequency in any machines. This thing is
like a paradigm shift for me.

It welds so smoothly at 125A in stick mode that I can almost weld
blindfolded, just by listening to the arc. In TIG mode, it's so near
impossible not to strike a proper arc on the first try that you'd have to
work at it to fail.

This thing was built in the late '80s or early '90s, but it's more welder
I think I'll ever need. All copper, too!

Ig doesn't know it, but he's looking for some other shop tools for me.

LLoyd