Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.cats.community
dgk dgk is offline

Default Fences - Cats - DIY

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:06:30 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Last night I watched my cat stalk something in the woods for about 10
minutes until it must have flown/scampered away.

After 10 minutes of crouching down and stealthily walking towards the
woods, she just sat up and started cleaning herself, like "Yep, that's
all I came out here for. Hunting something? No, not me. Just walked
over here to lick my paws, yep, that's all."

Not long ago I saw a study reporting that feral cats (and I presume tame
ones) catch their prey every third pounce. Just imagine, only three leaps
away from a snack (lizard, bird, frog, grasshopper, mouse, mole, moth, baby
anything, and thousands of specific prey - not including opossums).

On a hot August day a few years ago I was sitting upstairs when I
glance out into the hall and saw Nipsy and Espy sitting in the hallway
looking at something between them and I couldn't tell what it was but
it wasn't a bird. The backdoor was open and they were free to come and
go so whatever it was had just been carried in. Turns out it was a
baby possum - some mother possum had held a graduation and the kids
were scattering in the backyards.

I thought it was dead but picked it up with a paper towel and it
moved! So I took it downstairs and put it through the chain link fence
(so it was still a very small possum) into my neighbor's groundcover.