Posted to alt.home.repair

Default running water but only an outhouse?

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:41:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 16, 12:58*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:42:19 -0400, micky wrote:
If a house in town the 1910's or 20's had only an outhouse, does that
mean that it did't have running water inside the house?

Specifically, I mean Indianapolis. * About a mile or mile and a half
south of the center of town. *(Which was or at least became the poor
side of town, compared to the north side.)

My mother told me that she used an outhouse when she was little, but I
guess I assumed my grandparents still had a sink in the kitchen with
city water, rather than going out to a well, or pumping in the
kitchen.

What say ye?

No, inside water doesn't necessarily mean no outhouse. *At one time, my
grandmother had a pump at the kitchen sink, though I wasn't around then. *;-)

Being such a big country and given that all this
evolved over decades I would expect that there
were a variety of combinations. Nothing says that
one couldn't have added a well pump and tank
for the house without installing toilets, sewer system,
etc.

Exactly. I just remember the odd fixtures in the kitchen. ;-)