Andy Hall

Default Mitre Saws

On 18 Jul 2003 11:20:06 -0700, (Steve) wrote:

I'm in the market for a Mitre Saw. I've come across a 210mm saw at
toolstation.com , their number is 50193, but it seems very cheap and
i've never heard of toolstation.com before. Would I be better off
spending a bit more and getting it from b&q.

It really depends on what you want it for.

For decent work with a mitre saw it needs to be quite solid so that
cuts are straight and repeatable - e.g. there is no play in the
bearings and mechanism. This involves the base and supporting pieces
being reasonably beefy and any adjustable parts accurately made and of
good quality. Needless to say this costs.

Also, some work requires two angles to be cut simultaneously. This
implies a compound mitre saw which adjusts in two planes. This one
does not look like it has that facility.

If you just want very occasional use and accuracy is not too important
within a mm or two - e.g. if you were cutting materials for a deck or
something, then this level of saw may be good enough.

If you want something thatr will last, be more versatile and accurate
- e.g. if you want to do regular and decent work then something better
would be needed.

You can get reasonable "own brand" PRC or Taiwan produced products in
the £100-150 range. The good branded products such as Makita,
DeWalt, Elektra Beckum etc. start just below £200.

If you are looking for quality, it is better to go for a sturdy
product rather than something with gimmicks like laser guides.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl