Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:41:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Mike M wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:20:13 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.

Not so sure Larry. There have been more times when I've hears "i
would not work for that wage", or "I would not do that", than would
cause me to believe that the unemployment roles are filled with
people willing to do that agricultural work. In fact - if that were
the case, those people could be right at work besides the migrant
workers even as we speak. How many unemployed people have you heard
say that they would take those crop jobs? I am calling BULL**** on
your comment.

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise. After 6 months (or less?), they
should be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple
days training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

Basically I agree with you, but hopefully some fairness should apply.
Try to put yourself in their situation. Some traumatic medical
condition has left you unable to do your former job, is it fair to go
make you pick crops for minimum wage. I don't see a lot of us on this
group surviving many days of agricultural work at our age.

The only problem with agreeing with Larry's point is that there is no such
thing as unlimited unemployment checks. Sounds good if you want to close
with a statement like "Get 'em off their asses", but it's only rhetorical.
Those two sentences only serve to show a lack of understanding for what the
world of the unemployed really looks like today.

I should have qualified it better I was actually more in agreement
with you.

Mike M