Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default Better Shed Doors?

We've put off replacing our shed doors a few years now due to funds
and time. However they have reached the point where I doubt they can
make it through another winter. What I want to know is what is the
best way to replace them.

Our shed is 12x16 classic barn style. Two doors with trim x-patterns
on the bottom half (trim falling off due to rot on the backside from
water pooling). We've had to move the hinges a few times due to them
pulling free of the 2x4's and weather. The doors close together in the
middle and have always been a little out of alignment making sliding
bolt locks useless. Other than the doors, only a 4-5 inches of the
bottom along one side is starting to spearate. Otherwise the shed is
in good shape. Nothing a cleaning, a little filler and paint can't fix
for another serveral years.

I would love to put a metal roll up door on it but finding one that
would fit, and not cost a fortune, has been impossible. So far I have
found one that might be small enough but it is darned expensive.

Hubby wants to put new doors on using piano hinges, but from what I
have read, that's a bad idea.

I would love to expand the door side another 8 feet, as we have the
room, to utilize as a small workshop. Basically a door at either end,
one for storage and one for a shop.

Unfortunately, my husband was laid-off yesterday and that will again
be put on hold. So it's fix the doors for now and wait.

I am open to any suggestions on the best way to fix/replace the doors
so that we don't have to keep moving hinges, suffer from rotting trim
and can actually lock it securely.

`Casper