Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Pls help identify invading bugs

On 8/14/2012 5:12 PM, TomR wrote:
That's good news -- no termites. Great.

Name Classified wrote:
The "waist" between the segmented sections is very thin which means
they are flying ants not termites.
You can't see it very well in my pic though.

On Aug 14, 3:37 pm, "TomR" wrote:
TomR wrote:

Also, here is a fairly good YouTube video that shows how to
determine the difference between swarming termites and flying ants:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXLdBW_1c8.

P.S. Well, after I viewed the YouTube video, I am not so sure they
are termites. The photo isn't very clear, but the video says that
for termites the length of the wings should be much larger than the
termite body size. If the wings are only slightly larger than the
body size, it tends to be flying ants.

Again, the photo is not very clear, so who knows -- but maybe this
is good news for the OP.

Yes, it is good. I went through this many years ago, pre-internet and
was able to distinguish between ants and termites with a swarm in my
garage which on close examination were clearly ants.

Stumps near my house are full of termites and I noted the swarming ones
were not white like the termites themselves but the color of ants.
The thermador along the house does not appear to have affected them and
it's been a couple of months since I had the treatment. I was concerned
that after the stumps were consumed they were traveling down the dead
roots and I had seen them within 5 feet of the house. Terminex said it
is good for about 10 years and I'm getting their insurance against wood
damage or infestation. I could have kept putting down shorter acting
stuff available to home owners but decided on thermador for peace of mind.

My next door neighbor who discovered them with a swarm in the house had
the juvenile hormone treatment and I noticed that it wiped out all the
termites in the area but they are back now. Exterminators said these
colonies can attack wood hundreds of feet away.