Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pre paid phones

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:42:30 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:34:36 -0400, "
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 03:20:17 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

assuming someone talks on a phone and only needs a cell phone for emergencies.....

why have a land line at all?

with unlimited phone and text 50 bucks a month for major carriers like verizon, and as low as 19 bucks a month for republic wireless, with lots of options in the middle f that price range.

why not ditch the land line totally, and go all cell?

I did that seven years ago and have never regretted it.

I have read that lots of people are doing that. I don't do it for
two reasons. The first is that I get the land line for 22 bucks per
month, and I do need more talk mins at home.

When I switched the cost was over twice that. Add in any long distance and
*two* cell phones were obvious winners. I don't even use 10% of my minutes
since almost everyone I talk to is "free", one way or another. A side benefit
is fewer marketeer calls.

The second and most important reason is that I don't want to have to
tote my phone around at home. I have 6 wireless phones throughout the
house to use when it rings. I even have one in the bathroom. I
actually use the one in the bathroom to call out on the most. I leave
my mail in the bathroom and go through it there. It really is a good
place for procrastinators to keep up with business mail.

You can get an adapter for a cell phone to wired. My solution is to not
answer.