Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 8/15/2012 4:33 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/15/2012 12:20 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.
Not so sure Larry. There have been more times when I've hears "i
would not work for that wage", or "I would not do that", than would
cause me to believe that the unemployment roles are filled with
people willing to do that agricultural work. In fact - if that were
the case, those people could be right at work besides the migrant
workers even as we speak. How many unemployed people have you heard
say that they would take those crop jobs? I am calling BULL**** on
your comment.

There's a geographical disconnect on that comparison. Most of the
unemployed live in cities. Most of the agricultural jobs are out in
the country. There's no easy way physically for the urban unemployed
to get to and from the fields.

Correct - but that's only because most of the population is centered in and
around cities. I contend that even in rural areas, where unemployment is
high, there are not lines of people trying to get that kind of job.

But without illegal aliens doing the low-paying urban jobs (fast food,
janitorial, etc.), the urban unemployed could take those jobs.

Could - yes. Would - I believe... not so much. Part of the reason that
those illegals can get those jobs is because legals here did not take them.

That's a result of supply and demand. If the crops had to come in, and
the illegals were not there to do the job, farmers would have to pay
what the market demanded for their labor costs. Which would make your
and my grocery bill that much higher, but that's another story.