Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 12 v. power source

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:00:54 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Gunner Gunner Asch writes:

Lots of old AT style power spplies kicking around.

Remember..its Yellow (+`12) and any black

I can't recommend that. PC supplies are highly optimized
for one task - being as cheap as possible.

Most of them will not function without minimum loads on one
or more of their outputs. (They regulate all the outputs
based on one output voltage.)

That said, it won't cost you much to try one.

Only the +12 needs a load - and that's the one he'll be loading.
I've used them for years.Clean, accurately regulated power - and I'm
always scrapping computers, so there are always several around. I used
to just plug an old hard drive on one Molex plug if I wanted to use
the 5 volt output, or needed 12 volts for a low current application.