Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default 97 Aerostar running hot

wrote in
:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:56:47 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

OK, back to the beast again. On the road, temperature is just
slightly above mid-range, where it has always been. When stopped
with engine idling, the temp slowly increases. If I set for more
than a few minutes, it approaches max full scale. When I drive off,
it comes back to normal.

that's a bad thermostat. they often are designed to fail "open".
then your temp climbs when not moving,and drops when you are moving.

For a '97 anything,it's about time the TS was replaced.
Make sure you get an OEM replacement,because the generics may not be the
proper temp rating,despite what their little catalog says.Had that probem
with my 94 Integra. their book said 180 degF,MY TS was a 194 degF.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik