Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Three speed automatic turntable replacement

You may not be aware but digital sound also has such
schemes. Understand this (listen up y'all I ain't doing
this twice).......

Yes, we don't have all day, Vince.

OK you got wonderful 16 bit sound, it is great right?
Well what happens when you are at a piece of the
music that is at -66dB ? It ain't 16 bit no more, is it
even 8 bit ? Just that very soft part of it, understand ?

Well the people who designed the system DID figure
this out and as such there was a pre-emph signal on
CDs from day one. When it got below a certin level the
preemph would kick in and the deemph on the playback
side. This gave it more bits during the soft passages of
the music.

The pre-emphasis was optional, and was abandoned years ago. I believe some
CD players have no way of compensating for it.

CD quality has been quite surpassed by certain DVD audio
formats. In fact the Sony PCM-1 or PCM-F1 could take a
DVD-R or any VCR and record better than a CD. Almost thirty
years ago!

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The PCM-F1 (and its Nakamichi equivalent, the DMP-100) could record at
14-bit or 16-bit resolution. That was its limit.

I own a DMP-100. 25 years ago I made parallel live recordings with the dbx
700, a processor using a system similar to Sony's Direct Stream Digital. To
my ears, the dbx 700 was superior.