Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DRO repair

On 2012-08-14, Gunner Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:35:19 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

I also should have asked about filtering the power to the unit. We are
at the end of the line and get a lot of crap in our power and we run a
big spot welder that noticeably dims the lights on cycle. How about a
UPS on the DRO?
Most cheap UPS's are not on-line, meaning they only cut in the inverter
when the power completely fails. They have little filtering or
surge suppression when the average voltage is normal. A surge
suppressor might be a better choice, but most of those are
really poor, too.

Jon

So get a good UPS..Crom knows they are all over the place in surplus
outlets

Given the nasty power you must have with the spot welder, I
would suggest either a really good UPS (like the Best Power Systems (now
only available used), which both keep the power going full time, and
are based on a constant voltage transformer to absorb surges -- or at
least use a Sola constant voltage transformer to control the surges. (I
wonder whether they are still made?

Good Luck,
DoN.

Exactly what I have for the power to the offices' computers! I've had a
few failures in there over the years but probably not due to dirty
power, just attrition.