Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default DRO repair

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:01:34 -0400, john
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
My "UNIQ" 2-axis DRO display has failed. The vendor says the power supply
is bad and can't get a replacement. They have offered a direct replacement
"UNIQ" for $295 or a "JENIX" display for $200.

I have asked them to return the unit. Does anyone know anything about
these? Would the PS be fairly easy to repair? I'll know more when I get it
back and apart.

Usually the power transistors fail in the switching circuit and also the
filter caps. Switching power supplys cans give you all sorts of
trouble. A sure fix is to just replace it with a new switching supply
which can cost less than 25 bucks for some units. A cheap but effective
way to mount it is with silicone sealant the good stuff. Make sure the
surfaces are clean of all oils and dirt.
I have replaced a ton of older supplies in cnc machine tools including
a bunch of my own machines. The GE 1050 has all three of the old
switchers replaced with the new ones including the 30 Amp. 5 volt unit.
I just did a Monarch VMC175 for a customer that had his older power
unit go bad.
I stock one each of a 5, 12 and 24 volt switcher din rail mount unit.

John

John

Something like this is what I would use, assuming it would fit inside
the case and 5V only:-

If I order it by 9:00 pm tonight it's on my desk the next morning.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...%09285-1890-ND

For $16.80 I'm not going to do a lot of troubleshooting beyond looking
at any fuses that may be present on the PCB.