Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] recyclebinned@gmail.com is offline

Default Faster blower for furnace/AC?

On Monday, August 13, 2012 4:38:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Aug 13, 6:29*pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:

The often neglected aspect of low air flow, is return air ducts. Often under

sized.

With 5.5 tons for 4000 sq feet, seems like it ought to cool. Please have a

HVAC pro come out. He should clean the outdoor units with foaming chemicals,

run till they dry and then check the freon. And a few other checks. If your

system needs maint, you may have 5.5 tons of equipment, but not be getting

that much cooling.

I worked on a house, couple years ago. The guy was stuck on "if it's got 3.5

tons and not cooling, we need 5 tons or six". Several lack of maint problems

were there, and *he was getting nearly no cooling. I repaired the system,

and life improved a lot. SWMBO was pleased, too.

All that is good, but if there is very limited air coming

out of most of the registers, not just very little cold

air, but very little air period, then I don't see how anything

maintenance related is going to do squat. It has an

electrostatic type filter and it's clean.

I have had to work on air conditioners where the previous residents had operated them without an air filter causing the evaporators to become clogged with dirt. I know the answer to this but I’m going to ask it anyway. Do you have an access panel or door on your evaporator coil that you can check from? Air conditioner installers never put one on residential units but always put one on commercial ones for some unknown reason. You will need to install an access panel or door and you need to do it without cutting the soft copper refrigerant lines while doing it.