Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default How do I repair small ding in drywall PROPERLY?

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 18:09:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

Is the sandpaper too coarse? Should I be using 220 or finer? on these
final touches?

It's either in your head, you're using junk compound, or junk paint.
What this about letting the compound dry "7 days?"
Don't use compound for deep dents, use Spackle or patching plaster.
Compound should be ready to paint in as little as 10 minutes.
Spackle/patching plaster about an hour per 1/4" depth.
If put on in a thin coat like compound, same 10 minutes as compound.
Rough figures, but close enough..
Only way these "rings" can happen is if the walls are brand new, with
a thin single coat of paint done with a no-nap roller.
Then the patch covered by thin, bad, watery paint.
Even then a 2nd-3rd coat of good paint will cover any "ring".
Overall blending is a different issue.

--
Vic