Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faster blower for furnace/AC?

The often neglected aspect of low air flow, is return air ducts. Often under
sized.

With 5.5 tons for 4000 sq feet, seems like it ought to cool. Please have a
HVAC pro come out. He should clean the outdoor units with foaming chemicals,
run till they dry and then check the freon. And a few other checks. If your
system needs maint, you may have 5.5 tons of equipment, but not be getting
that much cooling.

I worked on a house, couple years ago. The guy was stuck on "if it's got 3.5
tons and not cooling, we need 5 tons or six". Several lack of maint problems
were there, and he was getting nearly no cooling. I repaired the system,
and life improved a lot. SWMBO was pleased, too.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

manageable. I forget the exact split, but as I recall
the total AC is like 5.5 tons, no more than 6 for sure,
with it split 60/40, the 60 being the downstains. The
house is 4100 sq ft. Another
thing that sounds kind of dumb, no? I'd put more of
the AC capacity up top.