Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DRO repair

On 2012-08-13, Tom Gardner wrote:
My "UNIQ" 2-axis DRO display has failed. The vendor says the power supply
is bad and can't get a replacement. They have offered a direct replacement
"UNIQ" for $295 or a "JENIX" display for $200.

I have asked them to return the unit. Does anyone know anything about
these? Would the PS be fairly easy to repair? I'll know more when I get it
back and apart.

Switching power supplies (which this is likely to be) can be
difficult to repair -- since schematics are hard to find. However,
modular power supplies are pretty cheap -- find out the voltages needed
(likely +5V and perhaps +/- 12V or +/- 15V) and look for a single power
supply or multiple ones which will either fit in the existing housing,
or if necessary, put them in an external housing, with short wires to
the DRO. If you have to do this, you probably want some extra filter
capacitors right at the connections to the DRO's logic boards to make up
for the inductance in the wires.

Yes, get it back and see what power supply it needs. If it used
a wall wart, some external power supply should be easy to find.

O.K. Doing a little web searching, it looks as though the power
supply is internal, since there is an AC power cord connector ont he
back -- so you might have to pull out that connector, go for power
supplies in an external housing, and feed it through a multi-pin
connector in place of the power cord connector.

At a guess, the power supply has at least +5V and +/- 12V, since
there is what appears to be a pair of serial ports on the back though
those are likely to be for the encoders in reality.

If it were mine, I would try replacing the power supply, even if
it had to be done with an external one. The current power supply should
be a module with the AC connector as part of it, or wired directly to it
(perhaps through the rocker switch on the back). For that matter, is it
possible that the rocker switch has gone bad?

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564