Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default DRO repair

Tom Gardner wrote:
My "UNIQ" 2-axis DRO display has failed. The vendor says the power supply
is bad and can't get a replacement. They have offered a direct replacement
"UNIQ" for $295 or a "JENIX" display for $200.

I have asked them to return the unit. Does anyone know anything about
these? Would the PS be fairly easy to repair? I'll know more when I get it
back and apart.

My neighbour has a Uniq DRO IIRC and I'll enquire about whether he has
any info regarding the power supply. We had noted a software flaw in one
routine where it defaulted to metric regardless of the setting but that
could be lived with.

I have a Newall DRO and it failed due to what was likely a vibration
induced failure in the power supply chip legs. The DRO display was
mounted in a common manner on the headstock of the lathe and it failed
when doing an operation which caused chatter which I rarely allow.
Talking with a tech at Newall he mentioned that failure was common which
didn't impress me for something which should have been designed for an
industrial situation. I had looked for such problems but didn't look in
that detail, next time I will.