Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default hand held cnc router

On 8/11/2012 10:25 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/11/2012 9:08 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Fine woodworking had an email about a hand held cnc router.

http://tinyurl.com/8tda4av

Pretty cool, too bad they didn't use mouse like laser pointing instead
of the newer bar coding. Maybe they did, but it didn't seem so.

Smart kids, gives you a chance to do accurate work, with a small setup.
But if it goes to production, it will be very expensive.

At first I thought someone came up with something more ridiculous than
the laser for the drill press.

Then I saw the router moving around inside the base... Hummmmm

Looks like it could be quite accurate.

I do see that there are tape lines to tell the computer where the router
is at. I wonder how accurately those strips of tape have to be laid
out. That might be the down fall to accuracy.

Yep, which is why I think using laser mouse tracking might be a better
alternative. The tape eliminates using any wood, only taped wood.