Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Room Air Conditioners

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 10 Aug 2012 14:59:30 GMT, Han wrote:

There are obvious exceptions: For example, four bedrooms each with
its own window unit may be more expensive than the central unit. But
the main point remains: why cool the whole house when only part is
occupied?

You are forgetting important advantages of not having window units.
Firstly, the rooms are much lighter, less need for lighting.
Secondly, if it cools a little outside, it is very easy to open the
windows and get natural cooling. Try that with window units. Lastly,
it is generally more comfortable and efficient for 1 whole house A/C
unit than 4 or more window units. Of course, that presumes adequate
insultion of the home.

One size certainly does not fit all. Your points are valid, but not
deal breakers for me.

If you only have one window in a room, you are correct. If you have
two or more, makes no difference to open them.

They may eliminate some light, but in a bedroom at night, who cares? I
have one in the dining room on the north side and there is little
light to start with and while it cools other rooms, it does not
detract from their windows at all. Dining room gets plenty of light
from the east side window.

In my house, it is not practical to put a central unit. There are no
ducts so installation would be more costly. If I had hot air heat,
I'd probably go with central. Even then, adapting later is not as
good as a primary design for it.

As for efficiency, window units are generally less efficient to
operate, but not necessarily more costly. Depends on how they are
used. A 6000 BTU bedroom unit uses less juice overnight than keeping
and entire house cooled by a central unit when only a single room
needs to be cooled.

Well, guys. I live in New Jersey 07410. Last year we didn't have the
A/C on much at all. This year it seems to run almost continuously. We
remodeled the house, new to us, but built in 1929, a year after we bought
it, 1998/9, and the walls were open enough for new siding and insulation
to put in ducts and new hot water baseboard heat. I agree that otherwise
it would be expensive to retrofit for AC. But I really like the central
A/C as you might have gathered ... Even more now we have put foam
insulation against the roof so the attic really does stay cool (~$4500
with the other energy audit things, less a 50% state refund).

--
Best regards
Han