John Armstrong

Default halogen downlighters

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:47:53 -0000, Jonathan Pearson wrote:

"simon beer" wrote in message
Hi all, how easy is it to install halogen downlighters in an old lathe &
plaster ceiling? The wiring is not a problem, I can sort that, just a few
things that cross my mind when I think about them.
1. once I cut a hole for them the wood lathes will be unsupported, what to
do here?
2. will the old ceiling be to thick for them to sit in, I think they fix
using metal spring clip things.I fitted some eyeball lights in our last
house but this had plaster board ceiling.

Any other points to watch out for?

Also what are the advantages or disadvantages in fitting mains powered as
opposed to low voltage ones. These are to be fitted in the kitchen.
Many thanks

I've managed to do this in our ceiling, but its not straight forward mainly
because when cutting a hole with a jigsaw the wooden lathes vibrate causing
a larger hole than originally required, hence if you go down this route
start with a much smaller hole and work outwards slowly - hand tools may be
better.

Depending on the fitting, there might also be a problem fixing them too. If
the fitting has a clip expecting a plasterboard thickness of board, they
may not be able to cope with the thickness of the _lath_ and plaster (a
lathe is a big heavy thing for wood turning).

Something that might help the vibration problem is to plaster the top of
the ceiling around the cutting position before starting. Once set, this
should help hold it all together. Diluted PVA beforehand should help stick
the laths to the existing plaster too.

The other option is to cut out an area of ceiling and plasterboard it.