Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FEMA blocks the tankers

gunnerasch on Fri, 10 Aug 2012 22:57:00 -0700
typed in alt.survival the following:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 06:38:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote:
I seem to recall something called an "ad valorem tax" where a
business must pay a tax on the value of its assets like tools and
equipment used in the operation of the business. That one always struck me as odd.
O_o

TDD

http://www.justanswer.com/finance/0w...-us-state.html

The inventory tax punishes utilities for stockpiling spares for
disasters.

Which brought "just in time" manufacturing and all the ****ing
bull**** that comes with that.

A machine shop makes 1000 widgets for company A every 6 months.

So when their machines were slow..they would crank out another 1000,
just to have on hand for the next order. Machines break, things speed
up..Company B decides to order 3000 Rumiflusters about the time
Company A is ready for their next order..etc.
Everybody was happy. Prices went up much slower...if the cost of steel
went up overnight...the Widgets up on the shelf were made with the old
cheap steel and Company A would have some warning when they wanted
their next 1000. Everybody was happy.

Then the ****tards in government decided that having those 1000
widgets tucked away in a box up on a shelf, is a company asset..and
taxed the **** out of it. It COST the machine shop money...in material
costs, labor costs, machine costs..and the cost of keeping it up on
the self.

So the companies threw out literally millions of dollars of those
Widgets..right into the trash can. Because tossing them..was cheaper
than paying the taxes on them. And when Company A wanted widgets..they
had better order ahead of time..because Company B was going to be
placing an order. And if they didnt know Company C was going to be
ordering 10000 Blivets..and locked down the machines for 4
weeks...yawn..**** happens.

All because the ****tards in government decided that unsold items were
"assets" to be taxed.

There are other reasons to go with "just in time" production. But
having to pay taxes on inventory or storage facilities, makes for a
good reason / excuse to switch.
I'm over on the side which says you make only enough to fill a
"set". Until there is demand, you don't make "more". Yeah, the work
gets done at the rate of the slowest operation, but you also don't
have the client decide they need to make changes - and there you are
with your materials tied up in what is now obsolete scrap.

tschus
pyotr

For some reason, I am recalling story of the two guys who go into
business. One guy is making the widgets, the other is trying to sell
them. The salesman is out on the road, calls back now and then to
tell the guy running the machine "Everything looks good, things are
coming along, got a lot of interest..." blah blah. Mean while, the
guy back home is selling the scrap to buy more material, tens of
thousands of the widgets are piling up all over the place.
Finally, the salesman decides, it is no good. He can't keep
leading his partner on, he's going to have to bite the bullet, and
admit that there haven't been any sales, it is all for naught. But
just as he's about to, the phone rings. It is a customer
"I want to buy some of those widgets."
How many did you have in mind?
"A hundred and twenty five thousand."
Good, good, I'll call and see how soon we could ramp up
production.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Friends help you move, good friends help you move bodies. Really good