Gary

Default Bowed Veneer Panels?

MTTT,
I just bought a bunch of Jatoba at the Paxtons here in KC. Think it was
$3.90 a board foot. That's why I commented on using solid wood. Think cherry
is around 6 to 6.50 these days (which is why I switched to the Jatoba on my
last project). Can't believe they have they much of a price differential
between stores even if it is in a different region. Bet you could pick some
up cheaper via mail order from somewhere.

Next on my wish list is a decent bandsaw so I can practice on some resawing
as well. How did the Jatoba resaw? I enjoyed working with it on a table I
built, but the stuff is harder/denser than hell.

Good luck with the practicing!

Gary

"mttt" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
. com...

To reiterate what Daryl said:
If you veneer a panel - do the same thing to BOTH sides of the panel.
Otherwise you'll have unequal stress on each face of the panel and some

sort
of bowing, curling, twisting is inevitable.

Thanks! All part of the learning experience.

On a side note: Jatoba is pretty cheap around here (less than 4 bucks a
foot).

S3S 4/4 was $7.50 a BF @ Paxton here in Denver. [ When I saw their Cherry
for $9.50 a BF (OK it was 4/4 *wide* stock, but still!) I started to

wonder
if their prices are going a smidge out'a line. Might be time to try a

Steve
Wall UPS bundle. ]

Unless it's a highly figured piece of wood and all you're looking for
is a 1/4" piece - why not just use solid wood?

Just looking to get in some practice. Am new at this and wanted to

practice
resawing.

Veneering and resawing is
best saved for rarer woods and figured woods you want to get more out of

or
do things like bookmatches with.

Am glad I'm practicing on more common and cheaper stock - cuz I seem to be
screwing it up!
Thanks again for the lesson.