Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default How to clean heavy patina on brass door handles?

On 8/10/2012 12:28 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 8/10/2012 10:56 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/9/2012 6:38 PM, walter wrote:
My house is 30 yeas old. the brass handles on three doors have never
been cleaned or polished. See photo.

What can I do to make them look a bit more presentable? Preferably
without a lot of hard work.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/1000337j.jpg/

I'd use brass cleaner only and just work on it. Then I'd put a clear
tough finish on it and it should be good for several years. We have a
brass bed with clear finish that is over 30 years old and never needed
polishing.

Without finish you may be polishing once a year or more depending on
exposure.

I'd avoid steel wool or abrasives if I can as they will remove traces of
metal.

If it is solid brass, very fine steel wool won't likely remove any more
brass than weathering and polishing do. It doesn't look like solid
brass, so cleaning it up might show the difference more clearly; leaving
as is will just allow more oxidation. Brass, outdoors and with no clear
coat, will likely lose it's shine in weeks; faster in salt air. Pretty,
heavy door handle - might look good even losing brass plating.

I agree. Just would not try abrasive as first step if not needed.