Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Bathrooms and Outdoor Outlet On One Circuit

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 02:06:56 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 23:45:52 -0400, Taylor Hughes
wrote:

A townhouse built in 1980 has outlets in two bathrooms sharing a circuit
with an outdoor receptacle. The GFCI is in the outdoor receptacle, so
if you trip it in the bathroom you have to go outside to reset.

Does this meet codes, either in 1980 or currently (2008 NEC)? It seems
a bit ridiculous to have to go outside, but am interested in the
legal/safety standpoint.

I dont know about the code in this matter, but that is about the
stupidest wiring I've ever heard of......

As for safety, I dont see any problem, but it's very stupid! What
happens if a snow drift covers that outdoor box in the winter and you
lose power in the bathrooms?
(Was the electrician a drug user or alcoholic?)

It would appear that the outdoor recep is the source. If so, remove the
wires to the bathrooms from the GFI, connect them directly to the source
(feed) wires in that box. Then install a separate GFI's in each
bathroom. Problem solved for the cost or 2 GFI outlets and a hours
work.

My guess, with the age of the house, is there was no GFCI originally
installed and someone decided they needed protection when usin g a
hedge trimmer or whatever - and added the GFCI outlet.