Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning behind pool light

On Aug 10, 12:14*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:23:19 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
news:tfOdnX_UjajnjrnNnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@earthlink. com...

Thanks. I used almost $500 of shock and chlorine last month and still
wasn't able to get the chlorine up where it needed to be and pool has
been cloudy. After multiple shocks, one time double shock three days in
a row, with little increase in free or total chlorine, this is the
latest guess.. er suggestion.

You are obviously getting poor advice at the pool supply store.
Unless you can find a competent pool store, better open a thread
here describing the colour problem in detail, *with all values
measured by your pool test strips. * You probably need to adjust
pH and total alkalinity as well as chlorine levels. *Another likely
cause is a defective filter or dirt particles so fine they are not
trapped in the filter.

The color is white and cloudy. I haven't been able to see the main
drain, but I have a fountain running about half way down the pool and I
can see the hose to that all the way through.

I would dump in 5 gallons of liquid chlorine (20%, not the 10% they
sell at the grocery store) That should clear it up.

Bleach at the grocery store is typically 6%. Don't know
what you have where you are, but all the pool stores here
have 12%. I would target 20 ppm of chlorine. How much
he needs and of what depends on the size of the pool.

Before you do that, be sure your pH is right and check total
alkalinity as mentioned above.- Hide quoted text -