Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Gibson Guitar to pay big fine related to wood...

On 8/9/2012 3:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Nova wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

It was three hundred grand... they probably considered it a bargain. How
many millions were they paying to their lawyers? How much would would
another 6 months cost them? When you're dealing with the DoJ, who can
just keep reaching into *our* pockets to fight in the courts, most of
the time it's better to settle and sacrifice principle for profits.

Agreed. With the cost of a top end Gibson being over $15 grand
$300,000 was a slap on the wrist.

A $300k fine for NOT checking paperwork before signing a contract
seems a bit stiff to me. YMMV.

A $300,000 fine for violating a foreign law that the foreign country
didn't think they violated is a bit stupid to me.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com