Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default How to clean heavy patina on brass door handles?

Vic Smith wrote the following on 8/9/2012 6:49 PM (ET):
On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:38:19 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

My house is 30 yeas old. the brass handles on three doors have never been
cleaned or polished. See photo.

What can I do to make them look a bit more presentable? Preferably without a
lot of hard work.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/1000337j.jpg/

Try rubbing with Brasso or Glo metal polish. Use a soft cloth.
If that doesn't work for you, use a wheel as the other post said.
They'll tarnish again unless you coat them with something.
I polished a lot of brass in the Navy, and we never coated it.
Just polished it again. And again. And again.

The only brass I had to polish in the Navy was a belt buckle.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY