Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default More bandsaw upgrades...

On 8/9/2012 5:09 PM, G. Ross wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

On 8/9/2012 11:28 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
On 8/9/2012 7:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I never intended to turn the bandsaw into a project in itself, but
that's
what it's turning out to be. This time, I upgraded to a link belt and
added a dust collection vacuum port.

The link belt was from HF. It's cheaper than most others, but looks
just
like the more expensive one I bought from Woodcraft. Vibration at
startup
has been reduced, but I haven't tried cutting anything to see how well
it's
working.

The dust collection vacuum port was a little harder upgrade, as I
had to
take the lower door off and cut a hole. I placed the angled fitting
in the
center of the door, near the bottom. A test cut showed reduced dust
output
vs the pathetic dust "shoot" on the side.

I'll have to try some real cuts to see how well they work, but I think
the
dust collection upgrade will be most worthwhile.

Puckdropper

I tried one at the bottom (like you) and it wasn't as effective as the
modified one that I have under the table.

I'll post a picture of my under table one. I used rare earth magnets to
hold it... works well.

But not perfect. If I had a DC I would have both at once working.

Hey Puckdropper,

Take a look at the binaries or http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0

Although imgur is having some trouble right now... I think they are
upgrading their software and have a few bugs.

Makes blade changes quick and easy, and better than the original dust
port.. more juice..

Where did you get the port for the hose?

Woodcraft. they have one that points off at about 22.5 (router fence
type) and one that is straight. Because I have a delta circle cutter for
the bandsaw, I had to switch to the straight, I originally had the 22.5
but it intefered with the clamps screw for the circle cutter. The
magnets hold pretty good and are less of a pain than the original setup,
and it sucks more than the original that came with the saw.. a 1.25 port
I think.