Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default More bandsaw upgrades...

On 8/9/2012 7:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I never intended to turn the bandsaw into a project in itself, but that's
what it's turning out to be. This time, I upgraded to a link belt and
added a dust collection vacuum port.

The link belt was from HF. It's cheaper than most others, but looks just
like the more expensive one I bought from Woodcraft. Vibration at startup
has been reduced, but I haven't tried cutting anything to see how well it's
working.

The dust collection vacuum port was a little harder upgrade, as I had to
take the lower door off and cut a hole. I placed the angled fitting in the
center of the door, near the bottom. A test cut showed reduced dust output
vs the pathetic dust "shoot" on the side.

I'll have to try some real cuts to see how well they work, but I think the
dust collection upgrade will be most worthwhile.

Puckdropper

I tried one at the bottom (like you) and it wasn't as effective as the
modified one that I have under the table.

I'll post a picture of my under table one. I used rare earth magnets to
hold it... works well.

But not perfect. If I had a DC I would have both at once working.