Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Cooling the shop.

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I try not to think too much about why it doesn't work with the
digital meters, just that it's a pretty reliable test for figuring
out if the capacitpr is open or shorted, which is one of the
reasons I probably will always keep them around.

DVMs use a constant current to read resistance.

Another thing I like them for is checkomg motor windings for
continuity--many of the digital meters lack the required accuracy
in the low ranges and so they don't work well if you're trying to
differentiate between a dead short and say 4 ohms or so.

Lack accuracy on the low ranges. What a joke.

I said "many of them", you stupid ****.

And when you combine that with the fact that the readouts tend to
bounce all over the goddamned place because of a pathetically low
sampling rate instead of giving a reasonably steady reading....many
of them ARE basically useless...

It has more
resolution that a cheap analog meter.

Yeah, especially the ones where the lowest possible range setting is
X100

rolling eyes

They show you the poor contact
resistance, along with the resistance of the meter leads.

Both of which cause inaccurate readings, you psychotic whack-job....

Let's see you find a shorted turn with that antique Triplett.

Who in the **** said I was going to try and find "a shorted turn"
with it, you dumb ass ?

Obviously, there's something about "trying to differentiate between a
dead short and say 4 ohms or so" that you can't quite comprehend...

Heh , I use a cheap RS digital meter with a type K thermocouple to
track temps in my aluminum melts . Voltages are in the range of
20-30 millivolts

But I was talking about ohms readings...specifically, readings that
are between a few ohms and zero.

... which my analog meter won't even twitch at .

My , my , my , somebody **** in your Post Toasties ? FWIW that same cheapo
digital meter also reads ohms down to like .005 ... pretty damned good piece
of equipment considering what I paid , something like $12.99 IIRC .
--
Snag
Learning keeps