Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cooling the shop.

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I found a few wiring diagrams here;
http://www.brighthubengineering.com/...on-run-motors/

From the quick glance, it sure looks like if you disconnect the AC, that
there is motor windings across the cap.

You're right - the main winding is paralleled to the start cap & its
winding. I was tunnel-visioning on the start winding & didn't consider
the main winding. I shoulda drawn it. It will also discharge a run cap.

That does raise the question of why there are bleeder resistors on them,
as Micheal asserts. Maybe there are motors that don't use a centrifugal
switch, so that the start winding & its cap are not connected to
anything when the motor is stopped. A motor starter might have contacts
for the start winding and its own mechanism for disconnecting during run.

Bob