Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Cooling the shop.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I try not to think too much about why it doesn't work with the
digital meters, just that it's a pretty reliable test for figuring
out if the capacitpr is open or shorted, which is one of the reasons
I probably will always keep them around.

DVMs use a constant current to read resistance.

Another thing I like them for is checkomg motor windings for
continuity--many of the digital meters lack the required accuracy in
the low ranges and so they don't work well if you're trying to
differentiate between a dead short and say 4 ohms or so.

Lack accuracy on the low ranges. What a joke. It has more
resolution that a cheap analog meter. They show you the poor contact
resistance, along with the resistance of the meter leads. Let's see
you find a shorted turn with that antique Triplett.

Heh , I use a cheap RS digital meter with a type K thermocouple to track
temps in my aluminum melts . Voltages are in the range of 20-30 millivolts
.... which my analog meter won't even twitch at .
--
Snag
Learning keeps