Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Cooling the shop.

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:37:40 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in
message

Another thing I like them for is checkomg motor windings for
continuity--many of the digital meters lack the required accuracy in
the low ranges and so they don't work well if you're trying to
differentiate between a dead short and say 4 ohms or so.

That's a continuing annoyance with my HF meter. The ohms zero can be
20 ohms until I wiggle whichever connection was bad, usually the

banana jacks in the meter.

If you want to measure winding resistance accurately, force about an Amp
through it and measure the voltage drop. At 1A, 1 mV is one milliOhm.

Yes. A Kelvin connection. It is very useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-terminal_sensing

--Winston