Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Do you know what a telephone is for?

Mark Lloyd wrote the following on 8/7/2012 11:47 AM (ET):
On 08/07/2012 03:56 AM, wrote:
When I was growing up, a telephone was a device you used to dial a
number and speak with a friend or business person. You'd stick your
finger in the hole for each number you wanted to dial, and rotated the
dial. After dialing either four or seven numbers, someone would say
"hello". (Unless the party line was being used, and then you would have
to wait awhile). That's not too complicated or hard to understand.

It was five numbers here (until about 1990). A benefit of a small town,
that's not small anymore.

Only the last 4 numbers when I was a kid.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY