Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AC Adapter

John G wrote:

Michael A. Terrell laid this down on his screen :
Guv Bob wrote:

Another question.... I have a radio that shows a 9VDC input. Would an
adapter with 12VDC output work?

Not likely. It will damage the radio if it doesn't have an internal
regulator, which is rare as hen's teeth.

I don't know about the USA but the rest of the world has largly moved
to regulated SMPS for small device wall warts. And they generally even
suport the USA voltage too (Wot is it 120 volts) ;-)

Most newer warts are SMPS, but if its one that's salvaged from older
equipment that's not likely. I have over 300 used warts, and only a few
are SMPS. I have about 100 laptop/printer 'desktop' supplies that are.