Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Maybe, maybe not HE detergent in an non-HE washer

On 05 Aug 2012 21:31:49 GMT, Han wrote:

Art Todesco wrote in
:

Just replaced my less than 3 YO GE HE front loader with a new top
loader, also GE. The old front loader was a disaster. We virtually
washed everything twice, the 2nd time with no detergent in order to
get the cloths rinsed ... both times selecting the extra rinse. Still
the clothes didn't come clean at times and sometimes, there was still
soap left in them. I was a little concerned about getting another
GE, but the salesman did his job and convinced us to buy the GE. I
also like that GE is made in KY ... used to be made across the street
from my boyhood home in Cicero, IL. Anyway, a few years ago you
could easily get non HE detergent. Now, it is almost all marked HE.
The recommended amounts are now lower than the old non HE stuff was.
Now, if you put this small amount of detergent in a washer that uses,
lets say 6 times the amount of water (that's a guess), then the
detergent will be 6 times or more diluted. So, do you use 6 times as
much? At 6 times the cost?
Ah that's what makes the high efficiency once cheaper to run
(sorry,
for the sarcasm). Everywhere you look (google), they say to just use
the HE stuff in the non HE machines. However, nobody addresses the
dilution question. Any ideas here? I think I will call GE and ask
them also.

You must be unlucky. We bought a Sears Kenmore 417.43042300 frontloader
in January 2004, and are happily using it on the warm/cold ecosetting
with 1 extra rinse, using All 2X ultra detergent for almost all laundry.
Works just fine, efficient and rather rapid. No problems in those 8 1/2
years ... (Knocking wood).

Bought samsung 3 years ago - cold-cold, normal rinse, and never an
issue. Using Tide Compact.