Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx Zz Yzx is offline

Default Engineers, geologists, and the Mars rover Curiosity

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:13:03 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:
I want to thank all you engineers for building such a cool gizmo so we
geologists can cruise around Mars and conduct some real science.

Good job!

Please define "real science" - beyond that which you hope it to be.

Saawwwwwry. It was an attempt at humor, but I didn't take into account
that most of this group has not been involved in the energy or mineral
exploration industries. So I'll explain:

In those industries, there is a long-standing, good-natured feud
between geologists and engineers. We take every opportunity to put
humor or hurt on the other discipline. We adapt jokes, we cajole, we
irritate, we compete for promotions.

Hence the put-down reference to real science.