Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gibson Guitar to pay big fine related to wood...

Mike Marlow wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 8/7/2012 12:43 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Except that most in-house corporate attorneys aren't used to
running up against the DoJ every day, so outside counsel is often
sought from firms who do have experience with the Fed.

Yup - but it's still not likely that they spent or faced millions.
Maybe - I really don't know myself, but I doubt it. I would more
likely suspect a deal was put on the table immediately by DOJ so
they could show a "win". Was probably not a bad deal, all things
considered - but we'll never know the "all things" part of that...

What they spent to date and faced continuing to fight in direct legal
costs is just the tip of the iceberg...but to build enough of a case
to actual stand in federal court against DOJ I wouldn't be at all
surprised if it at least pushed the six figure amount for legal costs
alone.

Please go back to the original posts. They probably did not, and
perhaps would not have spend "millions" on this. All of the rest
that you posted is not relevant.

Sorry - that was abrupt. Better stated... It appears they did not spend
untold amounts to date (though we don't really know...) and what they could
or would have spent is pretty much speculation. I do agree with you that to
fight DOJ - whether they are off base with their case or not, is going to be
expensive.

--

-Mike-