Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_8_] CW[_8_] is offline

Default Gibson Guitar to pay big fine related to wood...

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 8/7/2012 12:55 PM, Bill wrote:

That will look good in their annual report! I have heard that everyone
who is incarcerated "Didn't do it!". I"m sorry, my tolerance for
double-talk gets lower by the year.

And mine for those who speak without bothering to inform themselves of
the particulars.

Once again:

To illustrate the ridiculousness and overreaching of this action by the
DOJ against Gibson, you have to read the affidavit filed in support of
the search warrant:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...sonWarrant.pdf

The seized wood is described in the affidavit as in the form of "sawn
logs" 510-530 x 75/70 x 10mm.

IOW, each of the 1250 pieces seized is roughly 20" x 3" x 13/32".

Read paragraph 14, page six of the affidavit and you will see that India
allows export of this particular wood up to 6mm thick (due to the high
complexity of involved in cutting these thin sheets to a uniform
commercial quality)

IOW, it must be cut to that thickness by Indian workers at Indian
factories, insuring Indian jobs.

IOW, the raid on Gibson's facilities, disrupting the production and jobs
of workers at one of the few American companies still "manufacturing"
products is based on a difference of 5/32" of thickness, AND TO PROTECT
INDIAN WOODWORKING JOBS.

How many of you, experienced woodworkers, could look at bundles of these
pieces and tell that there is up to 4mm (5/32") difference in thickness
in the pieces?
I could.