Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cooling the shop.

Snag wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

Repeated tripouts on the thermal OL are BAD for compressors ! Not
to mention what might be happening in your breaker/fuse box . My
youngest had a bad cap in his condenser, repeated reset/trip cycles
fried the terminals/sockets/etc in his fuse box .He was faced with
a choice of power to the stove or power to the AC . Bad juju !!

Snag, some people will never learn to do things right. I've had two
electrical fires because people half assed repairs, or reused old
equipment that they should have thrown away. This property was bought
from the widow of a 'Precision fixedit' type that worked for the
schoolboard. He dragged home whatever he could from the scrap pile at
work to 'fix' things It's taken over 10 years to rip his crap out and
do proper repairs.

Actually this was original construction electrics . He has since had a
nice new breaker box installed . With capacity for expansion IIRC .

Good. I've seen too many caused by careless work, or where the lugs
had never been checked after the initial install. It ticks me off when
someone installs a panel with just enough circuits, or even one with a
couple less than they should have.

I caught one panel just before it would have gone up in flames. It
was a 200A 208 three phase panel that was too hot to touch, because the
clamps that held the incoming wire were loose. The insulation was burnt
back to the edge of the 4" conduit, and four new conductors had to be
pulled in, all the lugs replaced and rechecked a few times to take care
of the aluminum wire's cold flow. It had to be done between midnight &
4:00 AM, since it was the feed to a CATV headend. We had about 500
calls that their cable was out, even at that time of the night.