Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Gibson Guitar to pay big fine related to wood...

On 8/7/2012 12:43 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Except that most in-house corporate attorneys aren't used to running
up against the DoJ every day, so outside counsel is often sought from
firms who do have experience with the Fed.

Yup - but it's still not likely that they spent or faced millions. Maybe -
I really don't know myself, but I doubt it. I would more likely suspect a
deal was put on the table immediately by DOJ so they could show a "win".
Was probably not a bad deal, all things considered - but we'll never know
the "all things" part of that...

What they spent to date and faced continuing to fight in direct legal
costs is just the tip of the iceberg...but to build enough of a case to
actual stand in federal court against DOJ I wouldn't be at all surprised
if it at least pushed the six figure amount for legal costs alone.

From a letter Gibson president wrote the NY Times not long ago...

"...they shut down production, sent workers home, seized boxes of raw
materials and nearly 100 guitars, and ultimately cost our company $2
million to $3 million worth of products and lost productivity."

In the end, one has to do what one has to do to survive.