Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Gibson Guitar to pay big fine related to wood...

-MIKE- wrote:
On 8/7/12 12:33 PM, Bill wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:
http://www.marke****ch.com/story/gib...me_latest_news

Yep. They caved and I lost all respect for the company.

They had, as best I understand, a defensible position on the merits.
I'd be
hard-pressed to imagine a jury finding against them.

This article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19153588)
says"

Gibson admitted violating the Lacey Act, which requires firms to *know*
that timber they use is legally obtained.

From this, it appears they violated the law as charged. What is the
defensible position--that they *didn't know*?

I don't know the particulars, nor do I have a dog in the race, but they
wouldn't be the first to admit to a lesser charge to avoid the
possibility of being convicted of a higher one, even knowing there were
guilty of neither.

That will look good in their annual report! I have heard that everyone
who is incarcerated "Didn't do it!". I"m sorry, my tolerance for
double-talk gets lower by the year.

If we give a darn about our system (s), perhaps we should encourage
companies to pursue their innocence by making them pay more for their
(admitted) guilt. Our media systems have the power! Just a thought...