Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default getting rid of cat smells

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 18:36:34 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 8/5/2012 2:22 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 7, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Prof Hill wrote:
I just evicted a renter because they had cats in my furnished house in
violation of the rental agreement. I got what damages $ I could from them.
The mechanical damage I can handle, but how do I get rid of the terrific
stink? The only way I can stand to be inside the house is with a big fan
blowing air in the door. I have treated the rugs for fleas, and think I
have them down. Will I have to discard the furniture and rugs?

HELP! HELP! HELP!
In a condo I own the tenant's 2 cats and 1 dog urinated to a 70% penetration rate on ceramic tile on the first level, the gypsum concrete on the second level and the plywood subflooring on the stairs and third floor. This evidently happened over a three year period. Do I need to replace all the flooring?

"Nature's Miracle" works very well on fabrics and even some solid
absorbent surface. However, if it's deep into the carpet and pad, I
don't think there's much hope other than replacement. We have one dumb
cat that likes to , ah, anoint things. I can usually smell is just
walking into the house. Nature's Miracle usually works. On carpets,
I've soaked the area with NM, then extract, and let dry. A follow up
cleaning might be necessary with regular carpet cleaner. Strangle the cat!

Rather than strangle, have the cat checked by a vet since urinating
inappropriately can often be caused by a urinary infection. In the
case of the original poster however, that is not likely the case, the
cat just got used to uriniating in certain places and was never
stopped.