Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default dead SSD memory transplant?

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 16:04:35 -0700 (PDT), put finger
to keyboard and composed:

My Patriot 60gig SSD died the other day on me, I believe due to overheating after being inside an i7 laptop on a very hot summer day.

When connected the computer wont even POST, the controller chip gets fairly hot (maybe reheating it xbox style would fix it).

I have an identical drive (bought them at the same time) which is working OK, so I thought I could unsolder the memory chips from the dead one and put them on these. There's quite a bit of data there I would like to recover.

SSD data recovery is massively expensive. AIUI, the professionals will
desolder each flash chip and read it in a jig. Then they will use an
expensive software tool to reconstruct your data.

I would test each of the onboard power supplies. One or more will
provide the +3.3V supply for the NAND flash array, and one will
provide the Vcore supply (~ 1V ?) for the controller. There may also
be a +2.5V supply and/or a +1.8V rail.

If the +3.3V supply is damaged, then the NAND flash would be suspect.

- Franc Zabkar