Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?

Tim Streater wrote
T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I'd keep kicking myself for wasting any time at all at something like
that, looking at fools that had mostly spent a significant part of their
pathetically inadequate 'lives' qualifying to even show up there.

I wouldn't put it quite like that as I think it's up to each person to
decide and do what they want, what they have to, what they like or
what they are good at, even if that means just staring at the moon.

I think the whole thought of putting up something like the Olympics is
all a bit bizarre. What actually is it? It's a competition between a
tiny minority of the population who are interested in those particular
things and can be bothered (or get the opportunity) to do it (and as
you say, 'dedicate their lives to it' in many cases). So?

+1

The Olympics have in fact been very well organised,

Nope, complete abortion with the number of seats empty in fact.

but that is neither here nor there. I have no objection to them taking
place, even,

I do if its my town that it happens in, because it ****s things up
so comprehensively for those not interested in the olympics.

except that no public money should have been involved

But nothing else is feasible given the cost of the venues alone.

and there should not have been any races on the public highway.

Or anywhere else that the public normally has free access to either.